The Apple Watch series 2 has been launched alongside the much anticipated Apple’s iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. The iPhone 32 GB model which starts at 599 pounds in the UK for the 33-gigabyte model is about sixty pounds more expensive than the iPhone six. Here is an up close with the new Apple Watch Series 2 and recap on Apple’s latest releases.
Whether or not you’ve been keeping yourself up to date with said string of news, if you’re here, you must be eager to get a rundown of the latest from Apple. Let’s jump right into an overview of the two models announced today to see exactly what is being offered with the 4.7-inch iPhone 7 and 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus as well as the Apple Watch series 2.
Meet Apple Watch series 2
At first glance, the new Watch, called the Series 2, looks almost exactly like the original Apple Watch. But it has some new sport-focused features both under the hood and within its software. Basically, Apple is doubling down on health and fitness; aside from briefly showing a ceramic model and new Hermes watch band, today’s presentation was less about aesthetics and more about capabilities.
First, the new Apple Watch has built-in GPS. It’s also “swim proof”, or water-resistant up to 50 meters, which means it will track swim activity. And Apple has even rolled out a new Nike-themed watch, aimed at runners. This one has a perforated watch band and a couple of Nike watch faces, as well as shortcuts to the Nike running app; otherwise, it’s the same Series 2 Watch.
Apple has also said that the Series 2 will get the same battery life as the previous model – 18 hours – despite the addition of GPS. There’s no big secret around it or magic trick Apple is trying to pull off; the battery in this one is simply bigger.
The new Sportwatch starts at $369, and will ship next week. The original Apple Watch is getting both an update and a price cut: it will sell for $269, but includes a faster processor.
You can see from the photos below that there are some physical differences, though you really have to look closely. The new Apple Watch Series 2 is about a millimeter thicker than last year’s model. Also, it has two speaker ports, which is all part of a mechanism that expels water from the Watch. And the optical heart rate sensors have a white ring around them that wasn’t there on last year’s model. (For comparison’s sake: last year’s Watch is the one with the yellow band in the pics below; all other Watches are new ones.)
Apple Watch series 2 finest features:
- Waterproof down to 50 meters
- 50% faster,
- 2x brighter screen
- Built-in GPS so you can run without your phone
- Pokemon Go Apple Watch app
- Option of buying it in ceramic (4x stronger than stainless steel) for £1,249
- Starts at £369 for standard Apple Watch 2
IPhone 7, 7 Plus
Some of the most interesting features of the phone include:
- Water and dust resistant
- AirPods – wireless headphones (with a microphone) that have infrared sensors that detect when they’re in your ear and only play then. W1 chip connects the AirPods to your other Apple devices. The batteries last for 5 hours and the AirPods come with a charging case that holds 24 hours of charge.
- Stereo speakers
- The new camera has optical image stabilization – 6 element lens with f/1.8 aperture. 60% faster than previous iPhones. The iPhone 7 has a single lens camera; the 7 Plus has a dual lens camera (wide angle and telephoto).
IPhone 7 Plus: New ‘portrait’ effect on the camera to add depth of field to photos
- Longer battery life: Apple says the 7’s battery will last two hours longer than the 6, and the 7 Plus battery lasts one hour more than the 6 Plus.
- Comes in jet black, black, gold, silver, rose gold
- Headphones will connect via the Lightning port. A free set comes with the phone, plus an adaptor for traditional 3.5mm jack headphones
- A10 Fusion chip with a 64-bit four core CPU
- Storage: 32GB, 128GB, 256GB
- Cost: Starts from £599
- Key dates: ordering on Sept 9, shipping on Sept 16
The iPhone 7, 7 Plus version and Apple Watch Series is to be released in the UK on September 16 and iOS 10 will be available to download from September 13. Pre-orders for the phone starts today.
Some of the features of the 7 plus includes:
- Storage: 32GB, 128GB and 256GB
- 5.5-inch display
- Camera with two lenses that are both 12MP, one of which is a wide-angle lens and the other a telephoto one for 10X zoom
- Front-facing 7MP camera
- Touch sensitive home button with tactic feedback
- Longer battery life
- Stereo speakers with twice the volume
- Five colors, including glossy black, matte black, rose gold, gold, and silver
- Water and dust resistant
- All-new A10 Fusion chip that’s 40 percent faster than the iPhone 6s
- No 3.5mm headphone jack, instead it will shift with Lightning headphones and an adapter
- Prices start at £719
- Available from September